Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 08:03:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        nschuler@sparrow.sanasys.com (Nathan Schuler)
Cc:        dima@stv.ee, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl script

In a previous message, Nathan Schuler said:
> >I have a file (counter.cgi) in /usr/home/dima/cgi-bin directory.
> >The execution right is applied.
> >The first line of file is "#!/usr/bin/perl"
> >BUT !
> >when I am typing  ">counter.cgi" I got a
> >command not found.
> >It works only in ">perl counter.cgi" variant.
> >How can I start only "counter.cgi" ?
>
> The path /usr/bin/perl is not correct.  Try "which perl" to get the correct
> path.  Also your shell could require that you use "./counter.cgi"

/usr/bin/perl is correct. That's the 4.036 version, installed by default.
You'll probably want to use Version 5.004 (as of today, there was a CERT
advisory) however, which would be in /usr/local/bin/perl

--
MicroEmacs vs GNU Emacs: M-X enter-nuclear-reactor-control-mode isn't there,
but I never used it much anyway.