Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 19:30:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Conclusion to "NT vs. Unix" debate

> I also noted this MANY times in the various mailing lists and cast my
> nets far and wide for some better GUI development environment that
> didn't depend on X (which you can't really do if you're writing an
> installer for someone who might be installing a rack-mounted PC using
> a serial line and a VT100 terminal).  Until I finally stumbled onto
> Turbovision 5 months ago, there was nothing, zilch, nada, and all the
> Windows advocates yelling for better GUIs were absolutely no help at
> all - all talk and no code from them.

I do not see an X option being entirely evil. I certainly agree that X
should not be a requirement, but it may not be a bad idea for a CD-ROM
release. It appears entrirely feasible to have a (bootable? :)) CD-ROM
with a minimal X release read-only on the media. I am not aware of
any cards that do not support the XFree86 vga16 driver. Conceivably,
the bootable CD-ROM could be its own OS, designed to format, copy, and
configure. It could be a modular environment that would only need to
be designed once.

The down side would be the space required. I don't see a good way to have
an X-based install without either a CD filesystem or root on NFS.

I would suggest this a an ammendment, and not a replacement for
sysinstall. For various reasons, sysinstall still has its place.

The menus take a bit of getting used to, but they work, and they work
fast. I personally like a slim install utility and would continue to use
sysinstall. But I also see the need for a consistent, homogenous, and
"retail boxed" front end to an exteremly valuable piece of work.

There needs to be a balance between the internals and externals. The
internals are what ultimately influence performance, capability, and
reliability. The externals are required for marketing, user-friendliness,
and sex appeal. If I had to choose between an internally focused OS (eg
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc.) and an externally focused OS (eg Win95, MacOS), I
would obviously take the former. But who says you can't have both? I see
the key as being a CHOICE. Have the internals solid, and let the
individual decide what type of externals to apply. Neither FreeBSD or MS
does a good job at this; BSD does not provide lots of GUIs, and MS has no
way around it!

Kevin