Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:59:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Henry Ammons <henryammons@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Windows2000 to FreeBSD encouragement needed

Hello.

I'm a newbie to freebsd who needs some encouragement.
I currently run a Win2K Adv. Server with Exchange, and
would like to move it over to FreeBSD.  A while ago I
ran it as a Linux server, but wasn't pleased with the
speed as an email server and switched it back to MS.
Most likely I had not optimized the install
(Mandrake).  My desire is to run a server that
provides the following: dhcp, ip routing, mail, ftp,
web, firewall and proxy (and I want to do this
reliably and securely).  I don't need gui and all the
extra packages that Mandrake loaded up by default--so
I guess my question is: am I heading the right
direction with FreeBSD?  To those of you who know it
well: is it what I read (i.e. the most stable and
secure *nix)?  Can I set it up and let it run with
only minimum maintenance and not have to update it
constantly (Linux)?

Thank you for your input,
Henry