Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 18:50:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        jhbuhrman@lucent.com (Jan-Hein Buhrman)
Cc:        hm@kts.org, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Invalid ref in FreeBSD_HandBook/Advanced_Networking/ISDN/ISDN_Cards

Jan-Hein Buhrman wrote:

> The FreeBSD handbook section about ISDN cards references an URL which
> doesn't exist anymore: `ftp://hub.freebsd.org/pub/bisdn'.
>
> I couldn't find the correct location (perhaps I need to download
> `ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ls-lR.gz', to find out the correct
> location, but that's so big).
>
> Perhaps somebody can fix the HandBook and/or point me to the correct
> location.

Bisdn is now obsolete and will be no longer maintained - it has been
replaced by isdn4bsd, i'll append the README which should contain all
the info you need:

                                  ISDN4BSD
                                  ========

                       ALPHA Version 0.42 / February 1998

                                 written by:

			     Hellmuth Michaelis
                               Hallstrasse 20
                             D-25462 Rellingen
                           voice: +49 4101 473574
                            fax: +49 4101 473575
                             email: hm@kts.org

                      with the help and support of many,
                         see file ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS !

                             WARNING !  CAUTION !
                             ====================

                     This is currently ALPHA level software !

                  In case you are not able or willing to debug
                  and fix it yourself and give feedback in terms
                  of patches and comments to the developer(s),
                  do not even think about installing it and remove
                  it from your mass storage device(s) immediately.

                  Do not install this in production environments
                  unless you are able to to debug it yourself !

                            YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !
                            ======================

Contents:
---------
	1.  Disclaimer
	2.  What is ISDN4BSD ?
        3.  Which BSD's are supported ?
	4.  NetBSD and ISDN4BSD
	5.  Where do i find documentation for ISDN4BSD ?
	6.  How do i install ISDN4BSD ?
	7.  Where do i get support for ISDN4BSD ?
	8.  How can i help and/or support ISDN4BSD ?
	9.  How do i report bugs ?
	10. Is there a mailinglist available for ISDN4BSD ?
	11. Where can i get ISDN4BSD ?

1. Disclaimer:
--------------
  It may be illegal to connect an ISDN4BSD based machine to the ISDN at
  your site because ISDN4BSD has not been approved by the telecommunication
  certification authority of your country. If in doubt, please contact your
  local ISDN provider !

  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
  ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
  IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
  ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
  FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
  DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
  OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
  HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
  LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
  OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
  SUCH DAMAGE.

2. What is ISDN4BSD ?
---------------------
ISDN4BSD (or in short i4b) is a package for interfacing a computer running
FreeBSD to the ISDN. The only ISDN protocol currently supported is the BRI
protocol specified in I.430, Q.921 and Q.931; better known as DSS1 or
Euro-ISDN.  ISDN4BSD allows you to make IP network connections by using
either IP packets sent in raw HDLC frames on the B channel or by using
synchronous PPP. For telephony, ISDN4BSD can answer incoming phone calls
like an answering machine.

3. Which BSD's are supported ?
------------------------------

FreeBSD:
	I only run and develop under released FreeBSD versions, this means
	that i currently use FreeBSD 2.2.5 for development of ISDN4BSD.
	Gary usually has FreeBSD current up to date and running, so
	ISDN4BSD is expected to run on FreeBSD-current.

NetBSD:
	Martin has NetBSD/i386 1.3 running and is supporting ISDN4BSD for
	that platform when his time permits it.

OpenBSD:
	Currently unsupported. Providing support for it should be
	easy [ hint: convert all "#ifdef __NetBSD__" occurences to
	"#if defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__)" and half of
	the required work has been done ;-) ]. Noone of the current
	isdn4bsd developers run OpenBSD, so the port has to be done
	by someone actually running OpenBSD.

4. NetBSD and ISDN4BSD
----------------------
The NetBSD specific support and the Diehl driver was written by Martin
Husemann, (martin@rumolt.teuto.de). Since i do not intend to run NetBSD
and/or Diehl cards, i suggest contacting him in case of problems in this
two areas.

5. Where do i find documentation for ISDN4BSD ?
There are manual pages available which are part of i4b, please read them
(hint: try "apropos isdn4bsd"). Further there are installation instructions
in the file INSTALLATION (uder the FreeBSD and NetBSD directories) and some
other docs in the misc directory. If you are looking for something which is
not documented, you are lucky because you have the sources to look at.

6. How do i install ISDN4BSD ?
------------------------------
Read the instructions in the file {FreeBSD|NetBSD}/INSTALLATION. In case they
are incomplete, wrong or outdated, please send me an update for inclusion into
a future distribution.

7. Where do i get support for ISDN4BSD ?

Due to the experience gained supporting the predecessor of ISDN4BSD, let
me please clearly state that there is no guarantee that your bug will be
fixed within some specific amount of time, in fact there is no guarantee
that your bug will be fixed at all; i'll do my best but there might be
more important things going on in my life than giving free support for
ISDN4BSD. Some bugs seem to occur only in certain environments and are
not reproducable here without access to the equipment you are connected
to or other equipment like PBX simulators: in this case you are the only
person being able to trace down the bug and fix it.

In case you want payed support, maintenance, enhancements or extensions
to ISDN4BSD, it is possible to hire me for reasonable rates though my
employer; in this case please contact me for details at hm@hcs.de.

8. How can i help and/or support ISDN4BSD ?
I'd really like to hear from you. I'm open for suggestions, bugreports,
fixes, patches, enhancements and comments to improve ISDN4BSD. Please
direct everything else to /dev/null or start writing your own ISDN package.

ISDN4BSD is a project on a voluntary basis but writing and supporting
communication systems like ISDN4BSD costs money and much time.

Any contribution in terms of equipment, cards, documentation, cash
and/or daytime payed work on ISDN4BSD would be highly appreciated.

You can help by not only reporting bugs, but by sending in a patch for
the problem together with a bugreport.

In case you cannot fix something yourself, please describe your problem
as detailed as possible, include information which version of an operating
system you are running, which ISDN board you are using, to which kind
of ISDN equipment (like the brand of PBX) you are connected etc. etc.

In case you want to get a currently unsupported card supported, write a
lowlevel driver for it yourself and submit it. In case you can't write
it yourself there is a good chance to get it supported if you can donate
one of those cards and - if at all possible - docs for it.

9. How do i report bugs ?
-------------------------
Please submit patches ONLY as context diffs (diff -c)!

I vastly prefer receiving bug fixes and enhancements that are clearly
differentiated. I don't always know what to do with large patches that
contain many bugs and enhances folded into the same context diffs.

Please keep it to one fix or enhancement per patch!

If your change modifies the external interface of an ISDN4BSD module,
i.e. more config options, command-line switches, new programs, etc.,
then please also include patches for the manual pages and documentation.

Incomplete and/or undifferentiated patches will greatly lower their
priority for consideration!

Thank you!

10. Is there a mailinglist available for ISDN4BSD ?
send a mail with the text

        subscribe freebsd-isdn

in the message body sent to

        majordomo@freebsd.org

11. Where can i get ISDN4BSD ?
------------------------------

The ISDN4BSD package is available from:

	isdn4bsd@ftp.consol.de/pub
	--------------------------

you have to log in as user

	isdn4bsd
	--------

and give your mail address as the password. Then change to the "pub"
directory.

Anonymous ftp as user "ftp" or "anonymous" will NOT (!) give the desired
result !

This is a sample session:

	$ ftp ftp.consol.de
	Connected to stage.consol.de.
	220 ProFTPD 1.0.0 Server (ConSol* Data Exchange) [stage]
	Name (ftp.consol.de:root): isdn4bsd
	331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
	Password:
	230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
	Remote system type is UNIX.
	Using binary mode to transfer files.
	ftp> cd pub
	250 CWD command successful.
	ftp>

You will find the ISDN4BSD packages with the following naming conventions:

	i4b-RR.VV-{alpha|beta|rel}-DDMMYY.tgz

for example:

	i4b-00.30-alpha-200298.tgz	an alpha release from Feb, 20 1998

	i4b-00.50-beta-200398.tgz	a beta release from March, 20 1998

	i4b-01.00-rel-290299.tgz	a release from Feb, 29 1999

Have fun,
hellmuth

[ PS: if you like and use isdn4bsd, please send me a postcard :-) ]

/* EOF */

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
                    "Those who can, do. Those who can't, talk.