Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 13:41:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        alexis@dawn.ww.net (Alexis Yushin)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: splash-page on bootup..

In article <199610031005.OAA17905@dawn.ww.net> you wrote:
> In article <522lho$g8l@sunset.ww.net> you wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Sep 1996, Jim Durham wrote:
> > > Amen... can you imagine what would happen if the system didn't
> > > boot? No boot...no reading var/log/messages to see what happened..

> > Uhrm, it was nestled at the end of a paragraph, but I figured it would
> > work like 95 where a simply hitting 'tab' or something similar would
> > toggle the two windows.

> 	Put the splash screen on ttyv1 for example and switch there.
> If you want your console back switch to ttyv0?

Good idea.   Now, how about our poor MS-bought soul surviving
a whole screen of memory and PCI probing messages??  (there could be even
more of them assuming a couple of SCSI drives, CD-ROM, tape, and PCI
ethernet).

Remember, sc0 is an ISA device, and PCI is probed before ISA (at least in
current).  It was the syscons' job to put to logo on, right?

Then, assuming abpout switching to ttyv1 for our graphics, how about
/etc/rc messages?  They are also left on ttyv0, yes? Great.  Then,
the getty starts and it would switch back to text mode?  Or do we
have to run special utility just to ioctl() /dev/ttyv1?  Or maybe
we'd just start xdm, having ttyv1 free.  This way, the system would come
into graphics login screen.

Next would come a fancy xdm login widget.  (don't forget to ask for NDC
to use for proper authentication.)

We already got fvwm95 in ports collection.

--
"Emacs is a fine O/S, but I still prefer UNIX."
			    - Tom Christiansen