Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:15:04 -1000
From:      Richard Puga <puga@maui.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   WaveLAN IEEE device timeout

I am having a problem with 2 WaveLan IEE Turbo PC cards.

One is running via an isa adaptor in a desktop which is lynked in ad-hoc

mode to a lap top a couple of miles away through the use of external
anennas.

Obvously both machines are stationary and dont move. I am running
3.2-RELEASE-PAO on both machines.  I am running PAO because I was not
able to intergrate the driver itself to 3.2R although I will
try when I have more time. The PAO install may have somgint to do with
my problem so I wanted to point it out. However I am using the lastest
driver I found on your web page located at
http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/WaveLAN/3.0 and dated July 20th.

The cards work great and  I have a solid lynk according to the WaveLAN
diagnostics in windows95.

Under FreeBSD I get about 4.6 megabits tranfer, which I am very happy
with.

But there does seem to be an intermitant problem.

On occation (sometimes days somtimes hours) the card will lock up. Both
lights on the card will just stay on. I get the following messages
on the console.

Aug 15 07:21:06 cray100 /kernel: wi0: failed to allocate 1594 bytes on
NIC
Aug 15 07:21:06 cray100 /kernel: wi0: tx buffer allocation failed
Aug 15 07:21:06 cray100 /kernel: wi0: failed to allocate 1594 bytes on
NIC
Aug 15 07:21:06 cray100 /kernel: wi0: mgmt. buffer allocation failed
Aug 15 07:21:09 cray100 /kernel: wi0: xmit failed
Aug 15 07:21:15 cray100 /kernel: wi0: device timeout
Aug 15 07:21:15 cray100 /kernel: wi0: init failed

I thought it might be a problem with a particular card but it hapens at
both ends.

The machine it has happend more often on is an AMD K6 running at 350Mhz
and is the computer with
the ISA adaptor.  The other is a Panasonic 166Mhz laptop.

I there is any more information I can provde please let me know.

Thank you for your time

Richard Puga
puga@mauibuilt.com