Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 12:43:50 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        erik witkop <ewitkop90@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I hosed myself as always

erik witkop wrote:

> I think it is fixable though. I edited my rc.conf file and now on
> reboot I get this.
>
> /etc/rc.conf:22 :syntax error:unterminated quote.
> enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>
> I pressed return but I cannot do any commands to fix it from that
> prompt. Where is my shell by default. Anyy ideas what the correct path
> is?

Your shell is most likely on /usr, which isn't mounted.  You need to
mount root ( fsck, then mount it) and edit your rc.conf and fix the
problem.  Unfortunatly the only editor available is ed, which
is not something you want to learn while fixing your system, so you can
fsck and mount /usr to get the tools you are used to (vi).  When you are
done fixing the rc.conf, simply exit out of the shell and let FreeBSD
boot normally.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org