Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 12:33:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        smurfen@ludd.luth.se (Ola Persson)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD hacker dinner report...

Ola Persson writes:

> On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Amancio Hasty wrote:
>
>> Okay, Bacardi 150 proof (Puerto Rican Rum)
>
> Why why WHY do you guys use 'proof' as a measure of alcoholic
> content..

The original term was 'proof spirit', a mixture of alcohol and other
things, mainly water, which when ignited would just barely cause
gunpowder to burn.  It was pretty much 50% alcohol.

In the UK, the term is (was?) not used in the same way as in America.
The Bacardi above would be 50 over proof.

> I have always wondered.... And is it exacty twice as much as ?

As %?  That depends.  The "Shorter Oxford English Dictionary"
specifies proof for alcohol to be "a mixture of alcohol and water
having a specific gravity of 0.91984 and containing 0.495 of its
weight, or 0.5727 of its volume, of absolute alcohol".  Webster states
it to be exactly 50% (like most values, by weight).

Greg