Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 19:37:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Alexander@Leidinger.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current & XFree86

>Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 17:58:44 +0200 (CEST)
>From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>

>> I'm running XFree86 4.1.0_4 on my laptop (tracking both -STABLE and
>> -CURRENT daily), and I use moused just fine.  However, the Device (in
>> /etc/XF86Config) is listed as /dev/mouse, and in (-CURRENT's)
>> /etc/rc.devfs, I have

>> 	ln -fs /dev/sysmouse /dev/mouse

>> I've seen no problems attributable to mouse interactions.

>I just installed 4.1.0 and am wondering why you make a link instead of
>replacing /dev/mouse with /dev/sysmouse in der XF86Config?

In the absence of any information (that I could see) to do anything
else, I tried to mimic the configuration in -STABLE, which has:

dhcp-135[2] ls -l /dev/*mouse*
lrwx------  1 root  wheel        13 Aug  8 17:04 /dev/mouse -> /dev/sysmouse
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12, 128 Aug 11 07:09 /dev/sysmouse

(And since I'm running both -STABLE & -CURRENT on the same machine, and
using the same flavor of XFree86 in each environment, I thought it would
be a nice touch to keep the XF86Config files the same.)

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.