Date:      Thu, 8 May 2014 21:35:17 -0700
From:      Lucius Rizzo <Lucius.Rizzo@the.ie>
To:        Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Version

* Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com> [2014-05-09 00:22]:
> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 10:50 PM, Lucius Rizzo <Lucius.Rizzo@the.ie> wrote:
>
> > 220 The.ie ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.8/8.14.7; Thu, 8 May 2014 19:46:51 -0700
> > (PDT)
> >
> > I thought it was the configs but I remade sendmail.cf and submit.cf on a
> > 8.14.8
> > install. My mailer.conf seems correct as well. What is causing this? And
> > what
> > exactly is the difference between the first and second versions? And
> > finally,
> > how do I fix it :)
> >

> It's not something you really need to fix; the configs only differ by that
> version number --- the first is from the sendmail binary, the second is the
> definition of the Z macro (DZ8.14.7) in sendmail.cf, from
> /usr/share/sendmail/cf which was taken from an 8.14.7 installation and
> didn't need to be updated for 8.14.8. I would imagine nobody saw any point
> in a change to the base that did nothing but bump a version but required a
> fair amount of change control / release engineering.
>
> If it really offends you, you can edit /usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/version.m4
> to change it. I wouldn't bother.

Oh perfect! Thank you. And no, lol, it didn't really offend as much as confuse
me. I tried Freenode #sendmail but they aren't the most talkative bunch.

That being said, I understand the challenges of updating files as it relates to
release etc. That being said, maybe perhaps I should file a bug for it to be
done.

--

++ QOTD: ++
++ 	"I sprinkled some baking powder over a couple of potatoes, but it ++
++                                       	didn't work." ++