Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 16:29:43 +0200 (CEST)
From:      chrw <shredder@hack.babel.dk>
To:        Stunt Pope <markjr@shmOOze.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel log message: BLANK CHECK req sz: 10240

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Stunt Pope wrote:

> Just saw these in the logs on a mail server for the first time:
>
> May  4 15:57:40 bundy /kernel: st0(ahc0:3:0): BLANK CHECK req sz: 10240 \
>         (decimal) asc:14,3 End-of-data not found
> May  4 15:57:40 bundy /kernel: st0(ahc0:3:0): BLANK CHECK req sz: 10240 \
>         (decimal) asc:14,3 End-of-data not found
>
> A tape backup was running at the time. Is this something I should be
> worrying about?

If you are running an older version of fbsd, and using adaptec
controller(s), you should upgrade. I experienced problems with a
streamer and encountered among other, similiar kernel
messages on fbsd 2.2.2 .. I upgraded to 2.2.6 and it seems
to have solved the problems.. I think there may be quite a
diffence/enhancements/bugfixes in alot of the adaptec code
from the older versions compared to the current stable.

CW