Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:03:23 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andrey Lakhno <land@dnepr.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIC capabilities

If memory serves me right, Andrey Lakhno wrote:

> I'v found in relnotes for FreeBSD 4.5 the following:
> ---8<---
> The per-interface ifnet structure now has the ability to indicate a set of
> capabilities supported by a network interface, and which ones are enabled.
> ifconfig(8) has support for querying these capabilities.
> ---8<---
>
> But ifconfig(8) do not have any references how to query these capabilities.

Maybe I should have just written that ifconfig(8) automatically displays
the set of capabilities supported by an interface.  If you have any of
these capabilities (such as transmit/receive hardware checksum assist),
you'll get a line that begins with "options=" when you use ifconfig to
check the current configuration/state of an interface.  See the line
right below the flags:

constellation:bmah% ifconfig xl0
xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        options=3<rxcsum,txcsum>
        inet6 fe80::200:86ff:fe4b:4bee%xl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
        ether 00:00:86:4b:4b:ee
        media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
        status: no carrier

Bruce.