Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:34:09 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        jaime@snowmoon.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Writable directory except for a given user

jaime@snowmoon.com types:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Sure - create a group that you put all users in by default, and then
> > take blacklisted users out of it.
> 	I'm aware of this idea, but in my case we're talking about
> hundreds of users.  Is there a way to configure adduser (or FreeBSD
> itself) to add a user to a given group by default?  Other than the obvious
> /etc/adduser.* files, I mean.  :)  What about a method of doing this and
> taking care of all of my hundreds of users that already exist?

Can you make that the users gid, as opposed to just being another
group? If so, script to fix /etc/master.passwd should be
straightforward. Given that you only have to do it once, ed might be
the fastest way to do it. If you need to create a group with hundreds
of users - you might want to find a different approach, like sudo for
the operations you want to allow on the directory.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.