Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:24:30 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@alaskaparadise.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Don O'Neil <lists@lizardhill.com>
Subject:   Re: Updating Bind & OpenSSL on 6.1-Stable/Release

On Tuesday 27 March 2007, Don O'Neil said:
> Don't assume that just because this is the first time I've raised
> concerns about the ports means that this is the first time I've
> used FreeBSD.... I've been using FreeBSD since 1.X.
>
> My point is that it's a pain the rear to do a CVSUP/Buildworld
> (takes a long time) so the ports collection is the easiest way to
> update/upgrade software.
>
> It would be nice to have some sort of reference as to how the
> original software was built and installed (the build options) or
> have the ports be built to match the original to facilitate easy
> upgrade of one or two items. I agree that in general these are 'add
> on' tools, but there are core functions (bind, ssh, etc...) that
> get patched from time to time because of security and it's a LOT
> quicker to re-install the port than it is to do a buildworld.

Upgrading the base ports a piece at a time is an excellent way to
shoot yourself in the foot. I would install the port, put NO_BIND=
true in /etc/make.conf. You can define the executable and files
in /etc/rc.conf. AFAIK, most of the base ports can be set up this
way.  Then, they become independent of the world build and can be
maintained with your favorite port tools. I use the port version of
bind on my nameserver and have never had any problems with
compatibility except when I built it with PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND9.
That turned out to be a *BAD* idea.

Beech