Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 18:35:18 -0400
From:      "Brian D. McGlothlin" <bmcgloth@mail.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   DAT or removable device?

I have read just about everything I can get my hands on about backup devices
for FreeBSD and still can't make a decision.  I currently am not running the
OS, but am about to purchase hardware to backup Win95 and in the future
FreeBSD (I am a CS student at Virginia Tech), so here is your chance to
steer someone in the right direction before they spend bucks.  From what I
read I'm assuming Adaptec's 2940 PCI SCSI Master is a good choice.  Now, I
have heard that 1.3/2 GB DAT drives can be bought "cheap" and I've even seen
the price quotes for www.corpsys.com (which I could not access) but the ones
I've seen advertised
(Seagate/Conner/Archive/whoeverownsitnowWordperfectwannabe) are 5-600$, not
cheap and their reliability seems to be questionable.  So I've been
considering a removable device such as Syquest's EZFlyer 230 and EZ135, and
also, heaven forbid, Iomega's Zip drive...even the Jazz Drive looks
promising. So here are my questions (sorry for the rambling):

Would Syquest's EZFlyer 230/EZ135 be a good choice for backing up FreeBSD
volumes or will I get less headache from a 4mm DAT?

Where might I purchase a 4mm DAT that is comparable in price to the EZFlyer
230 ($300)?

The AH-2940 is going to run me about $260 and I'd like to spend as close to
$300 as I could on a backup device.  I've worked with a 4mm Archive DAT
doing backups of Novell servers and I would love to have one if the price
was right.  Any advice will be appreciated more than words can describe.

TIA

Brian D. McGlothlin
bmcgloth@mail.vt.edu

P.S. As of right now I'm not even sure the EZFlyer is available in a SCSI
version...but the 135 would do the same.