Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:41:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need emergency help with vinum

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Friday, 24 March 2000 at 16:51:27 -0600, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Jon Rust wrote:

> >> More information would be a Good Thing. What type of volume is it?
> >> Mirrored? Striped? Concat? RAID-5?
> >
> > Sorry I did not provide more information. I was kind of in panic mode
> > when I sent the message. It is (was) a concatenated plex of 3 EIDE
> > drives. For what it's worth it was the third subdisk in the plex that
> > failed.
> >
> >> If it's mirrored or RAID-5, you'll be fine prolly. From a previous
> >> post (STFA is a good thing):
> >
> > I guess this means I am out of luck.
>
> There are tricks.  I suppose I should document them, but they somewhat
> contradict the idea of being able to rely on the system.  If the
> problem still persists, please let me know and I'll tell you what to
> do.  In any case, you might like to read
> http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html.

Greg,

Thanks for the reply.

I have removed the faulty drive from the computer but have not done any
thing else with that machine. The crash occurred during an FTP transfer of
the data from one machine to another. After examining the aftermath of the
crash, it turns out that I did not lose anything critical. It seems that
the important, hard to regenerate stuff got transferred. As far as what
was lost, probably half of it I really did not need to keep any way. Of
the rest, I can fairly easily regenerate the data if need be. It is an
inconvenience of course. That being said I do not think it is worth the
time, mine or yours, to try to recover, unless you think it could be done
fairly quickly. I am however very curious what the tricks are that you
referred to and I am sure others would be interested as well. In the mean
time I will read the web page you referenced.

Thanks.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC