Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 23:44:46 -0400
From:      Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stupid bash Script Question

Starting with a file containing a list of names:

firstname1 lastname1
firstname2 lastname2
.
.
.

I wanted to do "whois" on all of them. My idea was:

for i in `cat file`; do whois $i >> newfile ; done

But the output of that appears to be what would be generated by:

whois firstname1
whois lastname1
whois firstname2

etc

I tried different uses of quotation marks and piping it through
awk, but I couldn't get $i to be "firstname lastname" instead of
taking on each name individually.

I ended up "brute forcing" it by adding the appropriate "whois"
and redirection to each line of the file and then running it, but
that offends my aesthetic sensibilities. How do I do this right?

Thanks.

Greg