Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:05:49 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Vinny <vinny-mail-01+f.questions20091014@palaceofretention.ca>
Subject:   Re: Experiencing blank @pkgdep entries

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Vinny <
vinny-mail-01+f.questions20091014@palaceofretention.ca<vinny-mail-01%2Bf.questions20091014@palaceofretention.ca>
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to do some port maintenance, specifically,
> updating python and its ports to 2.6.  I used
> the instructions in UPDATING for portmaster:
>
> 20090608:
>  AFFECTS: users of lang/python* and py-*
>  AUTHOR: miwi@FreeBSD.org
>
>  The default version of Python has been changed from 2.5.x to 2.6.x.
>
> # portmaster -o lang/python26 lang/python25
>
> I did not retain 2.5 as the default, so I did not create
> the make.conf variable entry, nor did I run the 'portupgrade -R
> python' command (I deduced the portupgrade -R command was for
> those who wish to retain 2.5, was that correct?).
>
> Anyway, I ran:
>
> # cd /usr/ports/lang/python && make upgrade-site-packages -DUSE_PORTMASTER
>
> Aside: From memory, I saw some complaints about libtool15/22 pass by.
> Must one follow the UPDATING's timeline in reverse when doing an
> upgrade that might touch many files?  I.e. should I have run the
> libtool/libtldl upgrade before python's?

Yes, but you're more likely to run into these dependencies issues the longer
you wait between upgrades.

> To continue: It chugged along (while annoyingly asking me about
> deleting distfiles)

man portmaster

> until it hung on a fetch (net issues).  I hit
> CTRL-C and reran the above make command.  It continued and ended
> after a while with a status report of quite a few update failures
> with 'uninstall errors'.
>
> These were due to pkg_delete or 'make deinstall' dumping core
> on blank @pkgdep lines in various ports' +CONTENTS files.
>
> These blank pkgdep entries weren't there before I started the
> upgrade process, as evidenced by my current backup of the
> /var/db/pkg database, which has no blank entries in any +CONTENTS
> files.  I got a nice command line from the net somewhere:
>
> grep -E '^@(pkgdep|name)[[:space:]]*$' /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS
>
> I don't believe hitting CTRL-C during the fetch could have
> caused ALL these blank @pkgdep lines.  There were upwards
> of 50 ports with this problem after running the make commands.
>
> Is this a know problem?  I've only seen a couple of threads
> and they were one-off's (i.e. one port affected only).
>
> I restored from backup, but I'd still like to upgrade python.
> Hopefully, I can achieve this without corrupting my port
> databases.

I have run into issues with both portupgrade and portmaster.  I prefer
portmaster but it doesn't always work and neither does portupgrade.  As
noted by the UPDATING entry, portupgrade does a smoother on the python
upgrade.