Date:      Thu, 18 Aug 2011 22:17:25 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Vadim Goncharov <vadim_nuclight@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

Hi Lev Serebryakov!

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 01:24:21 +0400; Lev Serebryakov wrote about 'Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve':

>> The other social problem is lack of companies which offer commercial
>> support of FreeBSD like RedHat does.
>   Main social problem, IMHO, that there WAS NOT (I forgot Linux
> history and don't rememberfirst uf-distributive) and, later,
> Ubuntu-like versions of FeeBSD. Even if these doen;t replace Windows
> on many desktops (1% now?), they prepare Linux-aware users, and some
> of these users becomes admins or people, who decide which OS should be
> used in their business.

PC-BSD is exactly for that.

>   And, I think, it is too late. Why somebody should now choose FreeBSD
> when here is fancy Linux with bells and whistles? :( Yes, I'm
> pessimistic :(
[...]
>  better that Linux for many server tasks. Now Solaris future is
>  unclear, but before Sun/Oracle acquisition it looks TECHNICALLY very

It's wrong and harmful to be pessimistic these days, as FreeBSD has
prospects just exactly because of what happened to Sun. And because
Linux /feels itself a winner/ now - and you know what happens with
monopolies which stop to develop. But FreeBSD needs to invest efforts
(and serious efforts) to use the opportunities, of course.

>  everything is ``suitable'' for common tasks. And it is NOT ENOUGH
>  to be technically better. System should be far more superior to be
>  chosen, if it is not fancy/trendy. Yes, I belive, that FreeBSD is
>  better than Linux (at least on supported hardware) in server tasks,
>  more clear, more solid, etc. But it is ``only'' better, and is not
>  enough.

No. The whole message was about that FreeBSD is worse in several areas,
which masks out areas where it is better. If that will get fixed, we
could talk about is it needing to be "far more" superior or not. But
not before that as excuse to do nothing - no such excuse exists.

>    Other factors are hardware certification and hosting providers.
>  And, yes, commercial software. I mean Oracle and (not-so-commercial
>  but very important) Java :)

True.

>    And even best-in-class or best-in-world package management system
>  and streamlined base system DON'T SOLVE non-technical problems. They
>  could help don't lose current users, but they can not help find new
>  ones!

Yes, that's the first task - to not lose current users, the second - to
dig in our rock solid niche, and only then - to attack and find new ones.

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight@mail.ru
[Moderator of RU.ANTI-ECOLOGY][FreeBSD][http://antigreen.org][LJ:/nuclight]