Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 14:42:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   des and md5 passwd encryption - problem

I upgraded a machine from 2.0.5 to 2.2.5 yesterday and preserved my
old master.passwd. Then I installed libdescrypt.so.2.0 from a machine
in our network since the binary dist doesn't have the libdes stuff
(I took a version from internat.freebsd.org).

Since users with MD5 passwords seem to be unable to login.
I also noted that when a user had a md5 passwd string in
the old master.passwd ($1$...) and you give him a new one
he gets a des password starting with $1<des string>. Formerly
libdes (crypt.c) took care for this and gave him a MD5 password
again although des was enabled (via the libcrypt link).

How can I get out of this mess? I don't want to tell all my users
to change their passwords.

Can someone shed some light on what's changed?