Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:18:06 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving aout libs (part of aout->elf upgrade)

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > If there is an out-of-date library relative to one already in the directory
> > that the old one would be moved to, you will be asked for confirmation before
> > it is deleted.
>
> Eek.  More confirmations.  I was actually going to note that the
> confirmations already in there, while certainly very kind to the new
> upgrader, are a royal PITA to someone like myself who wants to just
> start a conversion build and leave it to run to completion.  It runs
> up to the first confirmation and then stops, which sucks.  Any chance
> of either removing this sudden attack of interactivity in the build
> process or making it conditional?  Thanks!

It's only in Makefile.upgrade, not `make world'. People only have to do
it once, so there is no chance for them to become familiar with what
the upgrade is actually doing. I'm happy to remove the confirmations,
but I don't want to have to answer a whole lot of complaints from people
who say "I had no idea it was going to do _that_!". And I don't want to
make the upgrade process any more painful that it already is.

Maybe I'll add a NOCONFIRM option.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137