Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:44:24 -0700
From:      Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
To:        conrads@cox.net
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mem.c: mem_range_softc undefined reference

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 20:32, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> On 06-Aug-2004 Sean McNeil wrote:

> >> I don't think so.  Where do you see this?  I'm still getting:
> >>
> >> linking kernel
> >> amd64_mem.o(.text+0xc1c): In function `amd64_mem_drvinit':
> >> : undefined reference to `mem_range_softc'
> >> mem.o(.text+0x24f): In function `memioctl':
> >> : undefined reference to `mem_range_softc'
> >> mem.o(.text+0x25a): In function `memioctl':
> >> : undefined reference to `mem_range_softc'
> >> mem.o(.text+0x364): In function `dev_mem_md_init':
> >> : undefined reference to `mem_range_softc'
> >> mem.o(.text+0x378): In function `dev_mem_md_init':
> >> : undefined reference to `mem_range_softc'
> >> memutil.o(.text+0x3): more undefined references to `mem_range_softc'
> >> follow
> >> *** Error code 1
> >>
> >> Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM.
> >
> > This is because your CUSTOM does not have options SMP.  Try adding
> > it.
> > UP is still broken.  I think a fix for i386 has already been made,
> > but amd64 didn't get fixed.
>
> Yes, I did try running an SMP kernel earlier today, but it caused some
> problems with my NIC (fxp).  Had to remove DEVICE_POLLING to build for
> SMP, and for some reason, I started seeing device timeouts on fxp0.
> Strange.
>
> Why is DEVICE_POLLING incompatible with SMP anyway?
>
> As if all this annoyance weren't enough, I'm *still* getting the pcm
> timeouts.  Beginning to wonder if that will ever be fixed.
>
> If it weren't for the fact that I really need to be running current to
> benefit from the latest amd64 developments, honestly, I think I would
> just switch back to RELENG_5_2, or even 4.x.  And if this sound problem
> doesn't get fixed, I'm not sure what I'll do.  Switch to Linux?  (yuck)
>
> Yeah, I'm a little disgusted at the moment.

I sympathize.  I have the sound issue, kernel panic most of the time on
boot because of ATAPI_RESET, hard lockups most likely due to ATA code,
plus I can't burn a CD without a kernel panic.  To top it all off, there
isn't a Java solution available for FreeBSD/amd64 to be found.

The sound issue appears to be related to PREEMPTION and will one day get
debugged and turned back on.  There are people working hard on it.  My
ATA issues will hopefully be fixed when Soren commits his changes to the
drivers.

I have no experience with the Linux amd64 environment, so I cannot
comment on that.  My reaction, though, mirrors yours (yuck).

I just hope all these issues are resolved before 5.3 is blessed.

Cheers,
Sean