Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 21:01:52 -0700
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Keyboard: no" error

I was recently trying to install 3.2 RELEASE on a new
machine, and consistently got the following messages
from "kern.flp":

 /boot.config: -P
 Keyboard: no

 >>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
 Default: 0:fd(0,a)/boot/loader
 boot:
 -
 BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01

The floppy would make a bunch of head movement noises, and then
nothing.  I think the BIOS keyboard driver was still running,
because the capslock light toggled and if I typed random keys,
eventually I would get beeps back.  There were no other signs of
life that I could discern, and I tried this repeatedly, swapping
various pieces of hardware in and out of the machine.

After I had all of this fun that I could stand (and after trying
the SNAPSHOT version of the floppies with identical results), I
decided to try kern.flp in a known working machine.  I got the same
message as above, except it said "Keyboard: yes", and, more
interestingly, it kept on going, eventually asking me to put in
the mfsroot floppy and booting freebsd.

Being slow, but eventually comprehending most things if they are
spelled out in very large letters, I realized that there must be
something about the keyboard I was using with the new machine that
was preventing it from booting; I swapped keyboards, and lo and
behold, it now booted up.

My question is, what does "Keyboard: no/yes" signify?  What kinds
of keyboards will and won't work with the boot program?  Inquiring
minds want to know.

-Greg