Date:      12 May 1998 09:33 EDT
From:      "Wyatt Nordstrom" <wyattn@nortel.ca>
To:        bengan@sunet.se
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Real Audio

In message "Real Audio", bengan@sunet.se writes:

> On Fri, May 08, 1998 at 03:46:21PM +0000, eT wrote:
> > Wyatt Nordstrom wrote:
> >
> > > Just a quick note on this topic. The posts got my curiosity up. I
> > > downloaded and installed the real audio player version 3.0 last
> > > night. Seemed to work well, except for my cheap sound card. Guess I'll
> > > upgrade today. Anyways, I noticed that a lot of the Internet only
> > > radio sites require the real audio player version 5.0. So, I travel
> > > back to the real audio home page, and try to get the 5.0 version. It
> > > appears that real audio has determined that for whatever reason, they
> > > are not supporting real audio above version 3.0 for UNIX systems. This
> > > is awfull. Of course, they offer the full complimentary ports for the
> > > windows NT/95/3.1 family of operating systems.
> >
> > I also did the same research as you, but I found that version 5 HAS been ported to
> > Linux.  I downloaded the rv50_linux file and got it to run on my 2.2.6-STABLE
> > using linux_lib.  Only bummer was that I could not hear any sound... i.e. the
> > player's little marker wasn't moving accross the horizontal bar.
> >
> > Any reason why this was happening.. I have a cheap ASOUND btw.
>
> The same for me. The message I got from RA5.0 was: you don't have the
> right codec for this. I actually stoped there. I don't have the time to
> debug this anymore. But I do have time to complain to the support or
> whatever they're calling themselfs. To contact realaudio you should fill
> in a stupid FORM on the www.real.com. You can also try the DNS
> registration email. Or you could try info@realaudio.com,
> hostmaster@realaudio.com, postmaster@realaudio.com. I do belive we should
> point out that we are a bunch of users who want this service.

I agree one hundred percent. If we do not let real audio know, they will
never support UNIX versions greater than 3.0. I hate to see us (FreeBSD
users) miss out on some of this new technology. I find it hard to
imagine that they probably use some UNIX version to create their
product for win platforms, and they do not bother to support the UNIX
versions. I for one, would be willing to pay the 29 dollar fee, for
the audio pro 5.0.

> Progressive Networks, Inc. (REALAUDIO-DOM)
>    616 First Avenue, Suite 701
>    Seattle, WA 98104
>
>    Domain Name: REALAUDIO.COM
>
>    Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
>       Black, Jerry Glomph Director Internet & Tec, nical Oper [tions]
> (JB843)  black@PROGNET.COM
>       206-674-2243 ext. 243 (FAX) 206-674-3588
>    Billing Contact:
>       Black, Jerry Glomph Director Internet & Tec, nical Oper [tions]
> (JB843)  black@PROGNET.COM
>       206-674-2243 ext. 243 (FAX) 206-674-3588
>
>    Record last updated on 24-Nov-95.
>    Record created on 07-Nov-94.
>    Database last updated on 11-May-98 03:39:51 EDT.
>
>    Domain servers in listed order:
>
>    DNS.PROGNET.COM              205.219.198.34
>    DNS-1.PROGNET.COM            204.71.154.5

As for the questions about running real audio under LINUX emulation, I
do not. I opted to stick with the version 3.0 for FreeBSD. This works
well for me.

I had problems when I first set up real audio, but this was attributed
to the fact that I had the sound card incorrectly set up. In my system,
the IRQ needs to be set to 5. That was my error. I also added a line
which points to the sound card IRQ. I am at work and I do not remember
the exact syntax, but it is in LINT for version FreeBSD
2.2.6. Tomorrow I will post my exact lines. Once I changed these lines
and compiled, presto, all was well.

A good test is to install rsynth (/usr/ports/audio/rsynth). The
execuatable is called 'say'. Do this test

     say this is a test to check my sound card I hope this works

If your hear a synthetic voice crack and drop half of this sentence,
then you may have a sound card IRQ problem. This is what mine
did. After I reconfigured the kernal, I could run the above test with
no problems.

Another interesting point to make is that I noticed in the ports off
of the FreeBSD home page, there exists a radio port:
	http://www.freebsd.org/ports/audio.html
	radio-2.0.4
	   Radio over the Internet.
	  Long description
	  Maintained by: janek@gaja.ipan.lublin.pl
	 Also listed in: Net

I have not tried this program yet, but I am sure that I will in the
near future.

-Wyatt