Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 18:24:49 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's aggressive keyboard probe/attach

> Obviously, a purely mechanical switch cannot misbehave in the
> way specified--for one thing, you need to take special action to allow
> reboot on the machines which are not actively connected to the keyboard,
> otherwise they will stop in the BIOS...

That "special action" is typically asking the BIOS not to fail on a
keyboard error.  It's a pretty common feature.

> "People" don't complain about KVM's on FreeBSD because the developers
> are obviously interested in doing things exactly one way and not
> interested in hearing about misbehaviors.  The keyboard/mouse code is
> quite opaque and needs massive work, but no one seems interested in
> doing the work.

"People" don't seem to check the CVS logs, or follow up on the lengthy
discussions about actual keyboard/mouse behaviour that have been held
over the years, nor do they talk to the current, active maintainer of the
keyboard/mouse drivers.

> Why does FreeBAD cause so much trouble that other OS's seem to be able
> to deal with?

We don't know.  We don't have your hardware, nor your cooperation in
order to track it down.

> Even now that I have decomissioned the old Solaris x86 box, I still get
> the psmintr errors on a standard Logitech wireless mouse.  Why?  Should
> I be stepping thorugh the driver code to figure it out?

Yes.

> surely others have seen the errors and can deal with them.

Surely you have seen the errors and can deal with them.  Surely?

Why should it be someone else?  What prevents you from getting involved?
You bitch about "FreeBSD's developers" like you were paying for them or
something - and completely miss the point.