Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:40:57 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        "NAKATA, Maho" <chat95@mbox.kyoto-inet.or.jp>
Cc:        portsmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   URGENT: Remove tinker.tar.gz from FTP mirrors

[Adding an appropriate subject line in the hopes that this will get
noticed and acted on.]

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 04:44:30PM +0900, NAKATA, Maho wrote:

> Hi, members of portsmgr, thanks for your huge effort to maintain ports
> system.
>
> While I was processing biology/tinker pr, I noticed it was marked as
> RESTRICTED. I read lisence file in tinker, it is appropreate.
>
> However this file is available on ftp.freebsd.org!
>
> >From porter's handbook it reads:
>
> > 5.2.3 RESTRICTED
> > Set this variable if the application's license also forbids us from
> > mirroring the application's DISTFILES via FTP.  Also set this if the
> > application's license has general restrictions on who may use it,
> > e.g. the application is for non-commercial use only.
> so that basically we cannot fetch from ftp.freebsd.org and its
> mirrors, however, i typed:
>
> % fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/tinker.tar.gz
> Receiving tinker.tar.gz (5658289 bytes): 100% (ETA 00:00)
> 5658289 bytes transferred in 33.7 seconds (164.07 kBps)
>
> I fetched successfully. I think it is wrong thing. From CVS logs,
> there is always `RESTRICTED' line, so that this situation seems to
> violate the tinker's license.  I messed up since RESTRICTED is not
> seemed to be valid.
>
> Does anyone can remove this file from ftp.freebsd.org and its mirrors?

As the former maintainer of this port I would like to stress how very
serious this matter is.  The author of the port will be furious if he
found out his software was being distributed outside of his control.

When I first set up this port I contacted the author and explained how
the ports system worked, how it was just a framework to build, with
FreeBSD specific patches and that his distfile would not be mirrored
because it would be labeled RESTRICTED.  He was satisfied with that but
reiterated that he was adamant about not having the software mirrored
and distributed outside of his control.

This is a very serious breakdown of the ports system and that distfile
needs to be removed ASAP.  Please send an e-mail to me when this has
been done in case I get a message from the author.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252