Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 01:41:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Richard Cramer <rwc@cscfx.sytex.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What is the Final EOL Disposition of v2.2.8?

Hello to the List,

I not sure whether my normal problem or inability to see the trees in the
forest, the the rain all day dulling my senses, or just being a little less
bright then the next guy, but what is the final disposition of v2.2.8?

Since until the last couple it was our production (recommended stable OS for
production users) I have been trying to follow where we were leaving it and
those users committed to it.

I would think that anything that was operational on v2.2.8, including packages
and ports, up until the cut over to v3.0-STABLE, would be frozen at that point
and kept at that state (read down loadable by whatever flavor you prefer)
for the foreseeable future.  Is that our plan?

Why am I asking this?  It seems that others are and I have not seen a direct
answer.  Additionally, while FTP'ing a v2.2.8 system today I got caught in
a predicament where after downloading the bash2 package via sysinstall on
the system I had just loaded, bash2 was and ELF version, changing both root
and the only other user I had created to bash2, I was unable to login because
of an ELF shared library was missing.... well it was really more then that.

While this was only a small inconvience and was recoverable and my surprise,
should it have happened?  Consequentially my question above.

Can we expect that v2.2.8 will be stable, accessible, even though not upgraded?

Dick

--
WashingtonDC Metropolitan FreeBSD User Group:
  Subscribe by emailing majordomo@sytex.net with subscribe fug-washdc in body.

Richard Cramer	rcramer@sytex.net		Phone: 703-425-2515
President					Fax:   703-425-4585
  SytexNet(tm) Sytex Access Ltd. POB 2385, Fairfax, VA 22031-0385