Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 21:08:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Mike Loiterman <mike@ascendency.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backup solutions

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Mike Loiterman wrote:

> Just wondering how feel about tape backups vs backing up to a hard
> drive.  I suppose this is the stuff of "relgious wars" but I just
> wanted to get a bit of feedback.  Thanks.

my own preference is tape.

tape..

	1. tape transfers between machines, and usually OSs fairly well.
	2. tar(1) is usually very transferable between various flavours
	   of UNIX.
	3. tape, and tape drives, tend to be more reliable, and even if
	   one part of them is damaged, you can usually recover data
	   with little effort.

hard disks..

	1. difficult to transfer between OSs.
	2. difficult to transfer between machines
	3. damage prone (head crashes, bad sectors as they get older
	   etc).
	4. even in redundant environments, the potential for dataloss
	   is very high.
	5. it's *very difficult* and *very expensive* to recover data
	   from a damaged hard drive.

hrm. i don't think this is really a religious debate.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche