Date:      Fri, 06 Jun 1997 08:18:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions list <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FBSD: PPP modem dialout (newbie) question? (Long -- sorry!)

Jeff,

I feel your pain :)  Took we almost a week to get PPP running.

See my comments below.

Patrick

>Dial my provider (modem, not TCP/IP),
>Send a <CR> to start the conversation,
>Wait for "name>" and send "jroberts"<CR>,
>Wait for "word>" and send (my password)<CR>,
>Wait for "eys:"  and send "3"<CR>,
>(Normally, the juice should start flowing after that last <CR>.)

Good and simple.

>3.  My setup (which doesn't work):
>
>Sorry to send all of this stuff, but every person who responded the last
>time asked for this information!  These files are set to the description
>given in the Handbook (*Setting Up User PPP*, or whatever).  I have no
>network card, and no assigned IP address.  After connecting with  ppp  I
>get something like
>
>           CONNECT OKAY!
>
>           (pause)
>
>           LOGIN OKAY!
>
>Then I hear the modem hangup, and  *show log*  returns the termination
>messages.
>
>What am I doing wrong?

See below.  If it doesn't work, send me a copy of your "show log".

>/etc/resolv.conf:
>nameserver 198.30.217.10

>/etc/hosts:

Looks fine.

>/etc/host.conf:
>
>bind
>hosts

We may need to change this later.  (Some say you should switch bind and hosts.)

>/etc/ppp/ppp.conf:
>
>default:
> set device /dev/cuaa1
> set speed 115200
> set parity none
> deny lqr
> set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK
> \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
> set redial 3 10
>
>AU:
> set phone 2895874
> set login "TIMEOUT 10 name>-BREAK-name> jroberts word> (password) eys: 3"
> set timeout 3600
> set ifaddr 10.0.1.1/10.0.1.2/255.255.255.0  (Guess #1, Guess #2, netmask)
> delete ALL
> add 0 0 HISADDR
> set openmode active

Try changing the "set ifaddr" line to read:

set ifaddr 10.0.1.1/0 10.0.1.2/0 255.255.255.0

This says try the guesses, but "/0" says I don't really care if you use any of
the bits if have given.

I think this is your main problem.  Your ISP can't negotiate with you.

>/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup:
>
>127.0.0.1:
> delete ALL
> add 0 0 HISADDR

Another thing you could try is switch the label to be "AV".  Although that is
not really necessary since you've done this in ppp.conf, already.

>/etc/sysconfig:

Looks fine, as well.

Try these few things,and you should be running.  One other thing though,
after you connect with ppp, you'll need to add a default route to your ISP.

This is done after typing ppp -auto AV, by typing:

route add default 10.0.1.2

PPP will change this to be what it needs after the linkup.

Let me know how it goes.

| Patrick S. Gardella             Developer - The Creative Group  |
|                http://www.cre8tivegroup.com                     |
| patrick@cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9 |