Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 1995 11:24:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A call for DNS secondaries to server for <dom>.freebsd.org

> I propose that we deal with all or most of these problems at the same
> time by creating secondary name servers for each major subdomain.
> We've already done this for .au (Australia), .br (Brazil), .fr (France)
> and .it (Italy).  We should at least try to get all the countries who
> currently have servers in MIRROR.SITES represented by their own domains
> so that we can unify the ftp namespace in the same way that Netscape has -
> e.g. the Japanese sites (for example) would become ftp.jp.freebsd.org,
> ftp1.jp.freebsd.org, and so on.  This makes them both trivial to remember
> and to cycle through when you're looking for a server with some slots free
> in your country of origin.

Why not do it by state (or maybe timezone) for US sites?  i.e. have a
"ftp1.wi.freebsd.org" for an ftp site in Wisconsin, or something like
that...

Another idea we were tossing around at work yesterday might be a way to have
the install floppy send "test" pings to various ftp servers, to see which
might be fastest (closest?  ala traceroute?) automatically, and recommend a
good ftp server on that basis.

Credit (partially):  Scott Bolte...

... JG