Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 17:16:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

> > The argument for school choice/vouchers is that there would be competition
> > among schools and thus some improvement; proponents argue that it is
> > especially important in inner cities where schools are more likely
> > to be appallingly bad and also dangerous.
>
> 	inner city schools are so dangerous for at least two reasons:
> 		the students that attend those schools
> 		the low level of funding per student

Add:	lousy managment of the school.

Locally, here in Indianapolis, schools have been cleaned-up by shaking
up the managment of the school.  Chicago is also using that concept
to improve their situation.

I live in a "border" area, where the nearby high school has alot of kids
that come from poverty (my immediate area is really nice though.)  That
high school now has very little drug abuse, etc.  Much of the changeover
was due to the change in principal and support by the local school board
and parents.

This is one place where the competition aspect comes into play.  I could
imagine where a school goes below critical mass -- administration/teachers
go away, and then the school is reconstituted in a year or so.  That would
have the advantage of disrupting disfunctional behaviors (both by school
administration, and student culture.)

The good thing about school vouchers is that even alot of families in poverty
care about their kids.  They can also vote with their voucher.  I would think
that the voucher would "enable" the poor folk, and not necessarily give
advantage to the upper-middle class.  The biggest group disadvantaged by
the "voucher" concept are the entrenched bureaucrats (incl school admins),
and I kind of like that idea :-).

John