Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 95 10:42:00 EST
From:      dayton@sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu (Dayton Clark)
To:        jg@euronet.nl
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Leased line

<.> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 10:27:57 +0100
<.> From: jg@euronet.nl (Jan_Guldemond)
<.>
<.> Hi,
<.>
<.> I'm trying to connect two FreeBSD machines with a leased line. I have two
<.> 28k8 modems to do this.
<.> But how do I configure them?? I can't dial a number and put the other one in
<.> auto answer as with a normal telefone line. How must I configure the modems
<.> to let them connect to each other and re-connect automaticly when the
<.> connection was lost?
<.>
<.> Thanks, you've all been a great help installing FreeBSD (for the last 6 weeks)
<.>
<.>

Using modems on leased lines is not as simple as plugging in the line.
There are electrical differences besides the lack of dial-tone and
ringing.  It appears that the run-of-the-mill modems are not readily
prepared to connect over leased lines.  Check the manual carefully
(sometimes the only reference to leased lines is a single sentence)
and consult with the manufacturer.

good luck

dayton