Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 14:57:38 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Gardner Buchanan <gbuchana@rogers.wave.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony SDT-7000 SCSI DAT - config questions

On Monday, 31 August 1998 at 20:13:00 -0400, Gardner Buchanan wrote:
> I just picked up one of these

(from the subject line: Sony SDT-7000 DDS drive)

> very cheap, new but with no docs.  I have it attached to an ASUS
> SC-200 and all seems well enough.  I'm not altogether thrilled with
> the throughput I get though.  There are some little switches on the
> bottom and I've got a PDF manual indicating which way to switch them
> for this or that UNIX version.  Naturally there is no indication if
> any particular setting is desirable under FreeBSD 2.2.7.
>
> So, does anyone else have one of these and can you offer any advise
> on these "unix compatibility" switches.

Strange.  I don't see anything that's different from one UNIX to
another.

> I'm seeing ~500K/sec throughput dd`ing 20K blocks to/from /dev/null,
> but it should be doing >800K.
>
> Can anyone offer any hints on magic SCSI configuration pages I
> should look into?

Check whether you're running in compressed or uncompressed mode.
Also, I don't think you'll get more than 500 kB/s out of a DDS-1 tape:
you'll need DDS-2 tapes for that.  The drive recognizes them
automatically.

Greg