Date:      Sun, 03 Dec 1995 16:42:34 EST
From:      koenig@CVAX.IPFW.INDIANA.EDU
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question regarding Creative Labs proprietary CD-ROM interface

Good day:

I have a question regarding FreeBSD 2.0.5 (although I believe the question
pertains also to 2.1.0).  I am attempting to get 2.0.5 to work with a
Creative Labs CD-ROM drive that is attached to the system via a proprietary
Creative CD-ROM interface card (i.e. this is *NOT* the proprietary Creative
interface on a SoundBlaster card, *NOR* is this a SCSI interface on a
SoundBlaster card, but is rather a Creative card that controls only a Creative
CD-ROM drive).  I believe from the FAQs that this card should work, and
indeed the kernel identifies the card and the attached CD-ROM drive
as it probes for devices.  However, when I attempt to install from the drive
or mount the drive under 2.0.5, the kernel somehow at that point can no longer
see the device and reports that no CD-ROM devices exist on the system.

My question is: am I doing something wrong that I can correct with enough
tinkering, or is this Creative Labs CD-ROM proprietary interface (on a Creative
CD-ROM-only card, *NOT* a SB card) simply not supported in 2.0.5 and 2.1.0?

Any help or references to the appropriate FAQs where this is discussed in
greater detail is greatly appreciated.  Thanks to the entire FreeBSD team
for the tremendous effort that goes into this software!

---Greg

Greg Koenig <koenig@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu>