Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 02:55:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Charles Martin <martin@chasm.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sony VAIO PCG-F490 (XG18 & XG19) How-To

Well, I have X working on my PCG-F490, thanks to Matt Visser's note on
comp.os.linux.portable.

First of all, once you start playing with FreeBSD, you may get an A20 line
error when trying to reboot Windows.  If you do, try putting

    Device=C:\Windows\Himem.sys /TESTMEM:OFF /M:1

in your CONFIG.SYS, it worked for me.  (I got this from the Sony tech
support website.)

To get X working, run xf86config (I had no luck with XF86Setup).  For these
new Sonys with the NeoMagic 256XL+ chip, specify:

    Hsync option (#5 or #6 I think) which has 31.5-48.5.
    Vsync specify your own: 60
    Select the NeoMagic laptop from the card list.
    Don't add a clock line and don't probe the clock.
    4096 VRAM (the card actually has 6M, but I went with 4M).
    Use the SVGA server.

When you're done with xf86config, edit /etc/XF86Config by hand.  In the
device section, uncomment the "VideoRam 4096" and the "Chipset NM2160".
Change the chipset to be "NM2200".

Because I don't fully understand how X chooses its display resolutions, I
edited the "svga" screen to contain only the display subsection with "Depth
16" and "Modes 1024x768".

Works for me.  Good luck.