Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 08:10:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cool little 100BaseTX switch - they're coming down in price

In article <199912190556.AAA08484@whizzo.transsys.com>,
Louis A. Mamakos <louie@TransSys.COM> wrote:
>I noticed another, smaller IC which had a hole blown out of the epoxy case
>(which subsequently allowed the smoke to escape.
[...]
>In a "what the hell" move, I powered up the ethernet Netgear Ethernet switch
>with it's preferred 5V power brick -- AND IT WORKS JUST FINE!  Well mostly;
>I think the chip with the hole was involved in driving the Transmit/Collision
>LEDs which don't do anything anymore.  But pushing packets through the box
>seems to work great; it's still doing the bridge thing of forwarding traffic
>to the right port, etc.

I've run into really horribly mutilated ICs that kept working. When I was
at Berkeley they had a display with a little 555-based oscillator driving an
LED in Cory Hall (engineering). The 555 had a pit blown in the epoxy and you
could see the silicon at the bottom of the pit. Looked just like a car window
that had been plinked by a rock. Still worked just fine.