Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:26:23 -0500
From:      "Richard Cotrina" <rcc@demo.telefonica.com.pe>
To:        "Phastnet" <phastnet@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: socks5 help needed

Hiya:

I am also using socks5 (from NEC) running in a FreeBSD 3.4-Release box.  I
did not have to put anything in my socks5.conf file for socks v4 support,
and It works fine. The socks daemon was compiled without any special option.

I've tried with a telnet client (CS-Telnet) which has only socks 4
connection working without any matters.

Some time ago, we had troubles with the ICQ Client connecting with socks 4
to our Socks Server (Netscape Proxy Server in a NT box) that had support for
both socks 4 and socks 5 clients. It was solved upgrading to a more recent
version of ICQ client.

I think you should try the socks 4 support with another client.

Cheers !