Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 09:27:14 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        tcobb <tcobb@staff.circle.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT driver fails and panics with Degraded Array

tcobb wrote:

> > With an array of that size, on a machine that important - did
> > you not test
> > to see what would happen with a failed drive?
>
> Despite pre-certification testing, something will be different when you
> have a failure in production.  The difference in our case, I'm guessing,
> was that the array is now 60-75% full, and the OS version is different,
> and the system was under heavy access load,  too.  The original driver
> was an over-hacked version stuffed into 2.2.2, the newest driver IS
> better integrated, and actually faster, but obviously unable to handle
> the under-load failure situation in exactly the way we had it happen.

We did our tests under load, but not with a 'full' array (it was at about
20-30%)... We've never changed the operating system 'under' it, I know that
it would be checked again if the driver was ever changed (and to be honest
it would have to be a pretty dire problem to change the driver while the
machines 'online' - it would normally be made off-line or taken out the loop
first).

I'll also admit that we were looking at the DPT solution for our next
FreeBSD box... I think we'll either wait a while now (or I'll just keep
quiet and add a few extra weeks to the testing phase for the machine - I'd
prefer the latter for obvious reasons... ;-)

Regards,

Karl