Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:23:45 +1000
From:      james <jamesb@nelsonbay.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing a2ps + other config questions

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your help with this.
I have a couple of detail questions to clarify my ignorance here.

>> Q1,  Whats the command(s) to get an hp ps printer to work.  The freeBSD
>> system is the server to a few other systems.  So far, the printer prints
>> one line per page.
>
>I assume this is when you are trying to print a flat text file?  If so, you
>either need to convert to file to postscript (e.g. with a2ps or apsfilter
>or by some homegrown thingy which tacks a postscript header on the top) or
>convert the file with unix2dos or the like so that its a DOS/WIN style
>text file.

Two typical cases of printing: either from word97 on the lan, or from lp
directly on Unix.
What I dont know is what command do I type on the command line to get the
printer that the lan knows about to print documents sent to it from the
word97 program.

>> Q2.  Would like the other computers on the lan to be able to http through
>> the free BSD's pppd.  I see that the ppp command has an -alias command but
>> the ppp command produces an "ERROR" when I get to the part to enter in the
>> AT <phone number>.  The pppd run by itself, does however connect and work (
>> except the other computers can not see past our freeBSD server ).
>
>You need to run a proxy server on the machine or you need to use something
>like NAT.

OK.  Have seen squid running on the freeBSD machine when I first installed
it last week, but now ( a few installs later )it does not run.  So what do
I do to make it run OK at startup.
Is there a variable in rc.conf or should I just run it as a local...

>> Q6.  Is it possible to run informix IDS for linux on freeBSD ?  Or put
>> another way, what do I do to run a large linux application.
>
>Make sure you have linux emulation turned on and just run it.  You _may_
>need to use the brandelf command if its not recognised as a linux binary
>and you _may_ need to hack installation scripts which specifically expect
>the system to report itself as Linux.

This is Great news !
Just one little thing with that, how do I make sure Linux emulation is
turned on and what do I run to run it ?

Thanks again for your help, as I have lost some more hair with this, and I
dont have much more left.

See ya,
James.