Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:04:07 +0100
From:      Andrew Kendall <zetatronic@clara.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can you recommend some books, please?

Dear FreeBSD experts,

I seek your help in all earnestness.

This is my very first request for help after deciding to use FreeBSD. I
have spent a great deal of time installing and re-installing it, making
a certain amount of progress, but coming up against problems which I
simply cannot get past because of my lack of experience with UNIX in
general and FreeBSD in particular. My efforts to find answers on the
Net are proving fruitless, and I am disappointed by the lack of
information in certain areas.

Much of the documentation is helpful, but what I am really looking for
is a good book which presents an overview of the structure of UNIX /
FreeBSD, outlining the multiplicity of components and files. Something
that explains the concepts. Yes, I&#8217;ve got the installation notes
along with some system admin stuff, but I need that crucial background.
Something that tells me precisely what files and binaries are necessary,
what they do, and where they are located.

Preferably, I need a book which is specifically FreeBSD, because I want
to know about all the peculiarities of certain file locations, etc. I
don&#8217;t think any old Linux book will do, becuase they are usually
too vague and, again, they focus too much on following the installation
procedure.

I fell sure you can recommend something worthwhile, which I intend to
digest fully before I embark on any new attempts to install FreeBSD.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew Kendall