Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 16:02:00 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange things afoot

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> Hi,
> > So I then go into that directory and do a make depend. After I've then
> > installed all the extra bits of code it needs which mkbisdntree didn't put
>
> Which `extra bits of code' are you refering to? The only files that are
> needed for compilation and are not installed by mkbisdntree are
> /usr/sys.bisdn/i386/include/bisdn_ioctl.h
> and
> /usr/sys.bisdn/i386/include/bisdn_isdn.h

Yup, those (and I'm not sure, but I think there were some other bisdn_*.h
files as well?) but also running one of the patches completely messed up
/usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_extern.h.

That's the really odd bit, because I can't find any ffs_extern references
in any of the files... I think the drive might be dead, so I've found an
identical machine and I'm using that now, hopefully this one will work.
I'll have to wait and see.

> Instead these files are copied to /usr/include/machine which in turn is a
> symbolic link to /sys/i386/include once you did a ``make world'' on your
> machine.

I'll leave it to do a make world on the old box, but only once I have a
backup of everything. I expect it's just these cheap IDE drives that's
causing this.

> This is interesting, because ``make world'' is considered to be a very
> good hardware tester, and your problems might be hardware caused. So if
> you have about 250 Mbyte left on your /usr partition give it a try and
> see what happens.

I'm going to wipe the disk from the BIOS and see if that finds any errors.
After that I'll leave it looping make clean and world. (to a typescript!)

I'll probably also try putting a reboot in at the end of rc.local and then
leaving it starting up and shutting down for a few hours =), it'll give
fsck a chance and it should give it a bit of a workout =)

Many Thanks for the help.

Steve Roome.