Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 03:47:32 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

Annelise Anderson wrote:

[lots of snippage]
>         A newbies mailing list might be a good idea--the question that
> arises is who's going to staff it?  It seems Sue has sort of been
> drafted....I think it will be a fairly demanding project.

	Projects like this tend to go better with a group of people to share
the load. I'd be more comfortable with a small set of individuals
handling leadership for the new list personally. That way people who
aren't comfortable with a particular strong personality in a leadership
role will feel more comfortable about participating.

>         Here are a few points I would make:
>
>                 1) It would be interesting to know what difficulties
> people run into with the current methods of documentation/help.

	For my money you can't emphasize this point highly enough.

>                 2) FreeBSD-questions has a rather remarkable group of
> people answering questions.
>                 3) There's also the newsgroup--Joerg Wunsch and others.

	Agreed.

>                 4) Finally, there's irc.  On what I think is called EFNet

	That's the largest IRC network, and one of the more chaotic ones.

> there's #unixhelp, which is exactly where a lot of newbies need to be--
> quite a few of their problems are problems with basic unix skills.  (The
> #freebsd channel rarely has anything to do with FreeBSD or unix and is
> pretty useless;

	There is a fair deal of kibitzing going on in there, but I've found the
folks in efnet #freebsd to be knowledgable and helpful to those willing
to help themselves.

> IRC is of course always
> problematic, but when it works, it works very well indeed.)

	Well, I like to think so. :)  There is a #freebsd channel on dalnet
that is usually staffed and has a good crew of friendly people. If
anyone is interested in starting a new channel for freebsd newbies or
some such, dalnet has a lot of advantages including channel and nickname
services that provide stability and continuity sometimes lacking in
other networks. Then again, I'm prejudiced. :) I'd be happy to offer
assistance to anyone interested in a project like this.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest