Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 21:16:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ken Lui <klui@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about arp entry in /var/log/messages

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Ken Lui wrote:

> >From dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu Fri May 28 16:01:29 PDT 1999
> > > [isdn]
> > >   |___10bT___[hub]
> > >                |___10b2___[Mac]___10b2___[FreeBSD w/ 2 ethernet cards]
> > >                |___10b2___[NeXT]___10b2___[NeXT]
> >
> > You have a 10b2 hub?  Icky.
>
> No, the hub is 10bT, but there's a 10b2 interface. My original network
> was 10b2 and rather than rewiring everything to use 10bT, I decided
> to have most of my machines reside in 10b2. This is the reason why
> I still use NE2K ethernet adaptors on my BSD box since they're the
> only ones that have 10b2 and 10bT interfaces.

OK.  I generally hate coax, and would rip it out given the opportunity.

> > There's an addressing problem most likely.  Whoever 00:40:f9:13:69:d5 is
> > you need to go kick it.  I don't know my OIDs or I could identify it.
>
> I think that's my Cisco ISDN router.

Can you confirm it?

> > Well, there is, it's just one big doc:  http://www.freebsd.org/handbook
>
> The Advanced Networking section isn't in-depth enough. I think I need
> to buy a TCP/IP book of some sort, but I'm not sure which one.

It depends on how in depth you want to get ... ORA's 'TCP/IP Network
Administration' is a good general howto, but Steven's 'TCP/IP Illustrated'
series is the canonical reference.

> > > rc.conf's network section
> > > =========================
> > > hostname="black.tmpest1.org"
> > > gateway_enable="YES"
> > > ifconfig_ed1="inet 15.75.136.174  netmask 255.255.248.0"
> > > ifconfig_ed2="inet 10.0.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> > > network_interfaces="ed2 ed1 lo0"
> > > defaultrouter="10.0.0.1"
> >
> > This is wrong, this should point to your upstream provider (15.75.136.169
> > most likely).  If so take out the next two lines.
> >
> > > static_routes="hp"
> > > route_hp="-net 15.0.0.0 15.75.136.169"
>
> I changed defaultrouter to 15.75.136.169 and commented out my static
> routes and no longer get the messages.

You wrote in and said you did later on.

I'm beginning to wonder if you don't have a loop in your network.  I'd
like to see the output of 'netstat -rn' again after the changes we made
here.

Also, if possible, crank up two tcpdumps, one on each interface.  Then do
something that illicits the error and check the dumps.  Make sure packets
aren't going the wrong way.

> > > Internet:
> > > Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
> > > default            10.0.0.1           UGSc        0        0      ed2
> >
> > You'll never go anywhere with this here.
>
> I'm curious in knowing why everything worked before with the exception of
> those messages. The way I had things set up before wasn't as efficient
> because you just removed the static route. Thanks for your help!

That's why I think there's something fishy with your network.  Stuff is
going where it's not supposed to.

I assume your Cisco is a router and not just a TA.

Doug White