Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 2014 02:25:00 +0400
From:      "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, "net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Navdeep Parhar <np@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   SIOCGI2C ioctl for NIC drivers

Hello list.

It seems that networking is evolving quite rapidly, so 10g nics are
quite common: we have Intel, Chelsio, Mellanox, Emulex, Solarflare and
Myricom drivers in our tree (maybe some others). 40G are also here:
(Chelsio, Mellanox, Intel). Things like 25G NICs are also getting more
interest. Most of them uses SFP+/QSPF+ (either for short range optics or
passive/active twinax cabling) and we can improve diagnostics here by
providing standard way to request i2c data (like vendor info and signal
levels) from transceivers.

Chelsio and Intel drivers already provide methods to retrieve those
info, but in a different way.

I'd like to add SIOCGI2C as standard ioctl for that, picking value like
61, if there are no objections.