Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:05:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New scheduler

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Jeff, while investigating your patch I found a couple of possible
>     issues which I think are causing the time problems.

Thanks for the feedback.

>     The first problem is sched_choose() appears to be causing a lot
>     of ping-ponging because the swap is made permanent.  i.e. it
>     swaps cpu queues but then the new queue (belonging to another cpu)
>     becomes the current queue.  For the current choose it doesn't matter,
>     but for the NEXT time choose is called it does.
Eh?  There are two queues per cpu.  sched_choose() does not effect the run
queues of cpus other than the current one.  I'm not sure I understand
where you're going with this.

>     The second issue has to do with the way kg_slptime is calculated.
>     It just doesn't look right to me.  I think a better solution is
>     to add an additional field, kg_runtime, and rather then trying to
>     decrement kg_slptime you instead increment kg_runtime, then use
>     the ratio kg_runtime / kg_slptime to calculate the interactivity
>     of the process.  If either kg_runtime or kg_slptime exceed
>     SCHED_SLP_MAX, simply scale both down (to deal with overflows).
>
> 						-Matt

Yeah, I had intended to do something similar to this to fix the slptime.
This helps deal with a priority drift that is possible with the current
design.  I think I'll make this change soon.

Cheers,
Jeff