Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:55:39 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/41710: [port]  lame update (fix CFLAGS)

Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:

> I just want to know a showstopper argument: why do we need to remove
> "-pipe" and "-Wall"?

User's choice.  This isn't as much a showstopper as a matter of
convention.  I certainly don't bother to remove the addition of
such flags in ports unless they happen to be in the immediate
vicinity of -Ox overrides or things that need fixing.

> Depending on your answer I may want to change it in the LAME CVS.

*Shrug*
The rules for ports that use autoconf are pretty clear.  If the
user specifies CFLAGS (CXXFLAGS, CPPFLAGS) at build time, use those.
If not, build with an autoconf-provided default (-O2 -g).

> > cc1: warning:
> >    ***
> >    ***  The -O3 flag TRIGGERS KNOWN OPTIMIZER BUGS ON THIS PLATFORM
> >    ***
>
> For which versions of gcc is this the case? I want to add a workaround
> to configure.

This is a FreeBSD-specific addition to--I guess--all versions of
gcc we ship.  Note that it is only a warning, so you can choose to
ignore it.  Just how warranted that warning is in the first place,
is a can of worms I don't want to open here.