Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:26:46 -0400
From:      "Kelly Black" <kjblack@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-stable Digest, Vol 258, Issue 5

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 8:00 AM,  <freebsd-stable-request@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:54:41 -0700
> From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: Re: Problem with /boot/loader
> To: Kelly Black <kjblack@gmail.com>
> Cc: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, jhb@freebsd.org

>> >[snip]

>> >What do you have in /etc/make.conf?  I recall there being a point in
>> >time where incorrect CFLAGS options could build a broken loader.
>> >
>> >Try renaming /etc/make.conf (or just commenting out all
>> >CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS options) and rebuilding either just the loader or the
>> >whole world, and see if that makes a difference.
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thank you for the reply.  I put my make.conf file back to its default
>> when I first did the upgrade to avoid other kinds of problems:
>>
>> make.conf
>> # added by use.perl 2008-04-07 11:54:35
>> PERL_VER=5.8.8
>> PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
>>
>> And it still produced the loader that does not load.
>
> Kelly,
>
> A couple things:
>
> I'm wondering if you're getting bit by changes made to loader(8) by John
> Baldwin last year.  Those changes were positive and increased
> compatibility with systems greatly, but there were a couple reports of
> users whose systems preferred the old "method" used.  Those changes are
> documented here; and yes, I realise you don't get a screen full of
> continual register dumps, but different people saw different behaviour:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues
>
> Also see these mailing list threads:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-October/078755.html
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-November/038214.html
>
> Secondly, you said you migrated from "6_rel to 7_rel".  Do you mean
> 7.0-RELEASE, or are you referring to the RELENG_7 tag?  What tag are you
> following when doing csup/cvsup?
>
> CC'ing John as well.
>
> --
> | Jeremy Chadwick                                jdc at parodius.com |
> | Parodius Networking                       http://www.parodius.com/ |
> | UNIX Systems Administrator                  Mountain View, CA, USA |
> | Making life hard for others since 1977.              PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

Hello,
Sorry for the delay in reporting back. I have the following line in my
cvsup,.conf file:
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7
I have a copy of my cvsup conf file at
http://blackk.union.edu/~black/freebsd/raging/cvsup.conf

I had a /boot.conf file that contained "-D" I deleted the file and
tried to boot with the new /boot/loader with no luck. When I copied
the old /boot/loader it came up fine.

The system is i386. I have a copy of my kernel config file at
http://blackk.union.edu/~black/freebsd/raging/BLACK

I tried to do dmesg and make it available, but it gives me this message:
calcru: runtime went backwards from 331 usec to 327 usec for pid 0 (swapper)

Sincerely,
Kel

Kelly Black Phone: (518) 388-8727
Department of Mathematics FAX: (603) 388-6005
Union College e-mail: kelly.black@union.edu
Schenectady NY 12308 (USA) WWW: http://blackk.union.edu/~black