Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:45:05 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        William Schweder <pathway@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd

William Schweder wrote:

> I want to install freebsd on my win98 machine ive already downloaded it from
> your ftp i have my partion split into a fat 32 and a fat 16 partition now
> ive copied free bsd to the fat16 partion and im ready to install from msdos
> but im afraid ill ruin my win 98 (fat32) partion if i do
>
> please explain what i shold do im running partition magic so i can set the
> fat 16 to active or primary at any time

Buy a proper keyboard first, which has
 - an apostrophe key
 - a shift key
 - a full stop key
 - a comma key (may not be needed, but they're quite useful I find)

I see you managed to find the brackets.

Then, explain why losing win98 would be a bad thing.

Serious answer at last, I had win95 on here :-( when I installed
FreeBSD, and it worked fine. Since Micro$crew are such tossers, I
suspect win98 is identical to win95 but with a new name and a few more
bugs thrown in, so it may work from there too. (You'll have to drop down
to DOS first though.)

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by having a partition split into
2 partitions? Do you have two partitions within an extended partition?
I'm not sure whether FreeBSD can be installed within an extended
partition or not, so you may have to do better than that.

--
Ben Smithurst : ben@scientia.demon.co.uk : http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/

PGP: 0x99392F7D - 3D 89 87 42 CE CA 93 4C  68 32 0E D5 36 05 3D 16
     http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/ben/pgp-key.html (or use keyservers)