Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:21:34 -0400
From:      PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anybody manage to get Xorg to work with LG flat panel W2361

Roland Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 04:21:18PM -0400, PJ wrote:
>
>> I also have tried with the monitor in digital mode as well as in
>> analog... neither works.
>>

> Do you mean with a VGA and DVI connector?

You got it... right!

>> It seems to me that the options for flatpanel must be activated... bin
>> there, done that...
>>

> Why?

Had to try anything I could.

>> And that is because I saw those kinds of directions activated under the
>> display management in XP. O:-)
>>

> And since when is XP a good example of how to configure X? ;-)

You're making an assumption... see above.

>> So, here's my log:
>>
>> X.Org X Server 1.6.1
>> Release Date: 2009-4-14
>> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
>> Build Operating System: FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE i386
>> Current Operating System: FreeBSD grendl.my.domain 7.2-RELEASE FreeBSD
>> 7.2-RELEASE #0: Fri May  1 08:49:13 UTC 2009
>> root@walker.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
>> Build Date: 21 August 2009  12:40:03PM
>>
>> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Nov  2 11:07:26 2009
>> (++) Using config file: "xorg.conf1"
>> (==) ServerLayout "X.org Configured"
>> (**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
>> (**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
>> (**) |   |-->Device "Card0"
>> (**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
>> (**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
>> (==) Automatically adding devices
>> (==) Automatically enabling devices
>>

>> (**) ModulePath set to "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
>> (WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or
>> 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
>> (WW) Disabling Mouse0
>> (WW) Disabling Keyboard0
>>

> This could be the reason why you are not seeing a mouse cursor...
>
> Try adding
>
>     Option "AutoAddDevices"  "off"
>
> to your "ServerLayout" section, and remove any AllowEmptyInput lines. Or
> install and configure and start sysutils/hal before starting Xorg. For myself
> I find it easier to build the Xorg server without hal support and use the
> option shown above, so I don't have to deal with hald.
>

>> (--) NV(0): Virtual size is 1920x1080 (pitch 1920)
>> (**) NV(0): *Driver mode "1920x1080": 138.5 MHz, 66.6 kHz, 59.9 Hz
>> (II) NV(0): Modeline "1920x1080"x59.9  138.50  1920 1968 2000 2080  1080
>>

> It looks like a correct resolution is found and activated.
>
> As an aside, and not related to your problem, you might want to try the
> xf86-video-nouveau instead of nv. It is under heavier development and is
> working toward supporting 3D accelleration and supporting newer chips.
>

>> (II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
>> (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
>> (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
>>

> Normally, you'd expext to see some stuff from the mouse and keyboard drivers
> last in the logfile... Since theay are missing, and seeing the warning printed
> above, your problem isn't what it seems to be. I think the server gets stuck
> because it can't find a keyboard and mouse. That would explain why you don't
> see a cursor.

My quote from my dig at xorg mailing list:

Well, I did get it up and running, but no thanks to any information in
either the xorg or freebsd manuals...

I accidentally ran startx and to my great surprise the screen came up
with fluxbox and did work, albeit very sporadically... it kept going
black and sort-of flickered.
I shutdown and checked the log and lo and behold, the configuration file
was one I had forgotten about that came from another computer from where
the current disk was cloned.
So, with a little tweaking, the thing now works - but the what and the
why excape me completely.
The configurations does not need any parameters for horiz or vertical
scanning - only the screen depth and monitor size. I guess the name of
the manufacturer and the model are irrelevant. Oh yes, the
AllowEmptyInput had to be "off" ;  the DontZap was also "off"
Setting the FlatPanel settings (3 of them) to "True" does not seem to
make any difference whether they are T of F.
So, although it now works, configuration is still a total mystery.
Does anyone understand just what is going on or are we just groping in
the dark along with our blind leaders?