Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 12:39:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
To:        Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS and e-mail.

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Willem Brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I'm running a secondary DNS for my domain which is
> hosted by Granitecanyon. The idea was that whenever the two
> main DNS servers are unavailable that mine will be used so
> I don't get cut off from the world completely.
>
> 	Every time I send a e-mail to the questions mail list,
> it would seem that every mail server that receives that e-mail
> queries my puny DNS server. Practically DOSsing it, well
> maybe not quite.

Secondary dns servers often get hit even if the primary is fine.

> 	Normally I don't see much DNS traffic if any at all
> because the main servers is far better connected and capable.

What you want to do is NOT list your local system as an official
secondary.  This way no queries from the net will go to your local
server.  You can still have the local functionality by having it still
being a secondary.  Your local machines can ask it about your domain,
and it will answer since it knows its a secondary and thus authoritative
for the domain.

--- David